MAUTHAUSEN CONCENTRATION CAMP LOCATION
Mauthausen concentration daily trip from Vienna will include Vienna – Linz – Mauthausen village – Mauthausen concentration camp.
The most convenient and cheap transport to get to Linz (a city of Adolf Hitler’s youth) is a train. Trains from Vienna to Linz provide an every-hour ride, starting from 6:40 am (then 7.40, 8.40, etc.) and the starting point the Westbahnhof Railway Station. You will experience fast travel on a speed of 200 km / h and it takes 1 hour and 20 minutes to find oneself on a platform of Linz. Trains back from Linz to Vienna also go every hour (17.01, 18.01, 19.01, 20.01 and the last one at 21.01).
Find your way to the OBB (title of the railway company) information center. Buy a ticket to the Mauthausen village. It goes apr every 30 minutes. You will be consulted to take either a direct Intercity train (With Mauthausen on a screen) or with one transfer at St. Valentin Bahnhof (final destination is Garsten Bahnhof). Two-way ticket Linz-Mauthausen-Linz costs 10 euro (September 2017).
After 25 minutes of train ride, you will arrive to the Mauthausen train station. There three main ways to get to the Mauthausen concentration camp today and memorial site.
- On foot. 5 km of walking to the site, alongside the bus route.
- You can take a taxi – it will cost 10-12 euro
- Bus № 361. It goes every one hour and the bus station is just in front of the railway station.
Whatever mean of getting you choose, you will need to get to Linzer StraBe / Neue Mittelschule bus stop. You will find yourself in the authentic Austrian rural place with hills, drowned in the morning fog and beautiful tiny streets with modern one and two-storey private homes. It’s impossible to lose the way with a plenty of «Footpath to the memorial site» signs on every corner of the road. This picturesque route will take you 20 minutes to the Mauthausen Memorial.
I’ve made a map of the Mauthausen Concentration Camp today with markings – it resembles my route through the site within that emotional three hours.
The Mauthausen Memorial Complex is open daily from 9 till 17.30. Free of charge.
- Information center
- Former SS workshops and guard barracks (SS-Mannschafts)
- SS sports ground (SS-Sportplatz)/ After war cemetery
- Infirmary camp (Sanitätslager) / Russian camp (Russenlage)
- Former SS guard barracks (SS-Mannschaftsbaracken)/ Memorial park
- Mauthausen Graben Quarry (Wiener Graben)
- SS administration building (Stabsgebäude)
- Main gate (Lagertor)
- Wailing wall (Klagemauer)
- Roll call area (Appellplatz)
- Barrack № 1 – Canteen, clerk’s office and brothel
- Barracks № 6 and 11
- Barrack № 5 – Jewish barrack (Judenblock)
- Killing site and Ash dump (Aschenhalde)
- Tent camp (Zeltlager)
- Barracks 16-20 – Quarantine (Quarantänehof)
- Camp II (Lager II)
- Camp III (Lager III)
- Infirmary (Krankenrevier)
- Camp prison or Bunker (Lagergefängnis)
- Kitchen (Küchenbaracke)
- Laundry barrack (Wäschereibaracke)
- SS garage courtyard (SS-Garagenhof)
A complex of the concrete buildings, which includes information, a bookstore, free toilets, bistro (opens at 10 am) and educational seminar rooms. The bookstore provides visitors with all main editions about the Mauthausen-Gusen Concentration Camp and some well-known general works on the Holocaust. The language is generally German, but there are some English editions. A kind a polite consultant will give you a free map-scheme of the memorial and will even make some additional markings and give initial information how to build your route through the former camp. Most of visitors prefer to take an audio guide with a variety of languages. 24 metal plates within the territory are to point out sites where you can listen a fragment of the historical tutorial of one-hour duration.
FORMER SS WORKSHOPS AND GUARD BARRACKS (SS-Mannschafts)
As well as a number of old wooden buildings these constructions have not been remained after the World War Two. Former site now consists of the Information center, a free open space and a parking. If we take a look at the war scheme of the Mauthausen Camp, this SS site included 5 barracks and another three small constructions. Mauthausen guards used to live here and made use of the workshops and a sort of recreation area. Fire water pond was dug and lined with concrete in summer 1944.
SS SPORTS GROUND (SS-Sportplatz) / FORMER CEMETERY
SS guards of the Mauthausen-Gusen concentration camp used to have their free time here on a fresh air, playing football 50 meters away the main wall. The first week after the Mauthausen liberation in May 1945 were dramatic because of the high mortality among the former inmates with the already inevitable condition. American soldiers decided to use former Sports ground as a site to bury corps as a temporary cemetery. An approximate number of these unfortunate inmates reached 2600. During 1955-1956 France initiated the exhumation the corps in order to honor the memory of the French prisoners of the Mauthausen camp. A number of corps were transferred to different countries and the remain reburied at the Cemetery within the CAMP II.
INFIRMARY CAMP (Sanitätslager) / RUSSIAN CAMP (Russenlage)
The construction of this outer camp was initiated in the end of 1942. It has earned a camp call-name “Russian camp” (Russenlage) as it was considered to maintain soviet POWs from the Eastern front. Despite the 5333 Russian prisoners of war, transferred to the Mauthausen during 1941-1942, only 300-400 of them were still alive when the new camp was finished in winter 1942-1943. Within the next two years of existence now called “Infirmary Camp” was used to maintain seek inmates, who were unable to work. The majority of these prisoners died from starvation and diseases and some of them were tortured or killed in the Mauthausen’s gas chamber. A number of inmates were dramatically chosen by the SS doctors for the experiments. The former “Russian or Infirmary camp” used to include ten barracks, which were 55 meters long and 9.5 meters wide each. Inmates were forced to live in terrible condition without appropriate hygiene, medical treatment and supplies.
In order to avoid a possible epidemic, American soldiers have leveled this camp to the ground in 1945. The later 2000-s witnessed archaeological excavations which revealed stone foundations of the former barracks and remains of human bodied and personal belongings.
The free space site now includes only “Austrian memorial to the Soviet prisoners of war” with the text below:
On this place was a so-called “Russian (infirmary) camp”. Its barracks imprisoned thousands of the brave citizens of the socialistic countries, tortured by the Hitler’s Nazi minions. They put their lives to make Europe free and, in this respect, to make the Austria a state of freedom.
FORMER SS BARRACKS (SS-Mannschaftsbaracken)/ MEMORIAL PARK
The former SS constructions were located in front of the Main gate of the Mauthausen Concentration Camp (as well as near the SS garage courtyard). This site was divided by the road and included wooden blocks, warehouses, premises for guards, SS kitchen and even a horse box. Soon after Mauthausen liberation in 1945, the whole territory was officially delegated to the Soviet occupation administration. Former wooden SS barracks were sometime in use as the warehouses and then were empty and abandoned. On June 20, 1947 Mauthausen Camp was delegated to the new Austrian Republic with a term that new administration will create a memorial complex here. Construction plan implicated the destruction of the old SS barracks, in particular those in front of the Main gate.
The first version of the Mauthausen Memorial Complex was ceremonially opened in spring 1949 as “The public Mauthausen Memorial” with the supervision of a new Austrian government, war allies and a number of public organizations and contributions of the former inmates. France was the first country to open its national memorial already in Autumn 1949. Stonewall states: «AUX FRANCAIS MORTS POUR LA LIBERTI» (For the French, who died for freedom). The next 60 years witnessed the construction of multiple national memorials here to honor the victims of the War and the Holocaust. The most ambitious architectural compositions belong to France, Soviet, Polish and Jewish. You can also find and express honor to the memorials of Dutch, Federal Republic of Germany and the German Democratic Republic, Roma and Sinti, Bulgarian, Albanian, Luxemburg, Spanish, Hungarian, Ukrainian, Belgian, Italian, British, Greek, Slovenian, Czechoslovakian and others.
MAUTHAUSEN QUARRY (Wiener Graben)
On your way to the Main gate, finding yourself within the Memorial park, you will also see an almost unnoticeable foot path to the Mauthausen quarry, which had become a place of death for thousands of the inmates through the years of forced labor. We pass another tiny path which now leads to a site where some wooden workshops used to stand (demolished after the war). Green bush hides the 30-meter cliff, the so-called “PARACHUTE JUMP” (Fallschirmspringerwand). The SS guards and camp capos forced an unknown number of inmates to jump from this cliff to find death on the stones below. The first Holland Jews transferred to the Mauthausen in summer 1942 were killed in such cruel manner. A memorial plate in German, French and Russian tells the story of the “Parachute Jump”. Unnumbered amount of prisoners committed suicides, jumping down the cliff, being unable to continue surviving.
This narrow footpath alongside the quarry merges into rapid descent – infamous “STAIRS OF DEATH” (Todesstieg). When the Mauthausen was in operation, most of stairs were of different height and form, thus even physically strong and healthy men were exhausted soon after arriving to the Mauthausen camp. Stairs of Death were rebuilt twice – in 1942 and then after the war, so today height and shape of stones far from the labor period. Inmates were forced to make their way up and down multiple times a day with dozens of kilograms of stones, beaten by SS guards and capos and experiencing constant humiliation. Guards could hit some prisoner to look at his rolling down the stairs. This practice was common in punishment and penalties for those inmates who dared to obay the camp rules.
The existence of the Granite Quarry was a strong reason to build a huge Mauthausen Concentration Camp in this very place of Austria after the annexation in 1938. Forced labor was initiated and supervised under the direct control of the SS and its “Deutsche Erd- und Steinwerke GmbH” company. It used to supply granite, for example, to build ambitious architectural constructions, designed by Hitler himself and Albert Speer. In particular, in Linz, 20 km from here. In 1942 the total number of the Mauthausen prisoners who were forced to work in the Quarries of the Mauthausen and Gusen, reached 3000. The general supervision was under the high SS officer with the assistance of civil professionals, contributing into technical aspects. Direct control was deliberated by SS guards and camp capos.
Forced labor within the Mauthausen Quarry had no seasons and had been carried the whole year. The one matter which differed was the work hours. The length of the working day generally reached nine hours in winter and up to eleven in Summer. Today we see no former infrastructure within the Granite Quarry. It used to include a small premise to shape stones, a drawing-machine, pumping machinery, two towers with cables. Starting from the spring 1944 a number of Mauthausen inmates were forced to work within Messerschmitt AG nearby to produce components for aircrafts. The factory was destroyed during the war and now presented by remains of foundation hidden in the woods.
SS ADMINISTRATION BUILDING (Stabsgebäude)
Granite building was once constructed to the right of the main entrance and the road of stones from the Mauthausen Granite Quarry nearby. It had become a part of the modern Memorial complex with the same design. Initially the administration was a wooden building and replaced with this granite one, constructed by the inmates in 1942. The SS administration building known as “KOMMANDATUR” included the camp Commandant’s headquarter and the chancellery. Albert Sauer was the first commandant of the Mauthausen Concentration Camp and after a few months (February 1939) he was replaced by Franz Ziereis, who had been the supervisor of the camp until the liberation of the Mauthausen in 1945. On May 1945 former commandant tries to escape, but he was noticed and wounded. Franz Ziereis admitted the mass murders in the Mauthausen and tried to deliver responsibility to his SS supervisors. After Ziereis had passed away of his wounds, former inmates grab the body of the former commandant and put it on the barbed wire fence with the images of the Swastika and the name of Hitler. The Administration building was the very place where the future and fate of new inmates were determined. The former Commandatur is partially opened and a kitchen and toilet are accessible.
MAUTHAUSEN MAIN GATE (Lagertor)
Main gate has become one of the infamous symbols of the Mauthausen Concentration Camp Memorial and now is a part of the modern memorial complex within the territory. It was the only entrance for the prisoners (SS garage courtyard was not in access for inmates). After some bureaucracy within the Kommandatur, newly arrived prisoners used to enter the camp by means of the Mauthausen Main Gate. We can see two massive guard towers on both sides for the armed SS guard.
WAILING WALL (Klagemauer)
Newly arrival inmates were forced to enter the Main Gate and to stand still to the right. They had to experience the initial cruel attitude from the SS guards and capos, as well as humiliation. Guards used to satisfy with some prisoners suffer. Inmates were forced to stand near this wall for hours and sometimes for days, being chained to the wall (chains remained). This part of the Mauthausen Memorial Complex also impresses with dozens of honorable plates of different nationalities, placed on the wall. In particular, we can find a plate, which honors the memory of the Dmitri Karbishev, who suffered five years of camps and died here.
ROLL-CALL AREA (Appellplatz)
Roll-call area of the Mauthausen Concentration Camp is also known as APPELPLATZ in German. 200-meters long inner square which starts from the Main Gate and reaches the former Camp III. Mauthausen prisoners were dictated to gather for roll-call up to three times every day. After the number of the prisoners dramatically risen in 1943, roll-call were deliberated twice a day. The first one, about an hour duration the early morning and another one, up to three hours in the evening at the end of the working day. Inmates were ordered to form two ranks regardless of the weather. Capos and SS officers calculated the number of inmates in every barrack, dead and live. Prisoners had to salute multiple time in complete silence. The Memorial exposition still obtains a huge stone roll. Some inmates were forced to roll it along the area covered with gravel and crushed stones.
BARRACK № 1 – CANTEEN, BROTHEL, CLERK’S OFFICE
One among the few remained wooden barracks is the Block № 1 on the left side next to the Main Gate. This kind of camp constructions was usually subdivided into two or three parts with different purposes. The right side of the Barrack № 1 was a kind of the clerk’s office for some privilege inmates (capo), who performed the internal order, maintained a system of reports among the prisoners. Under a strong supervision of the SS, these men were also responsible for the calculations of the number of Mauthausen prisoners – live and dead, using the protocols of the everyday roll-calls. The office was also a place where main decisions on the transfers to the sub camps, such as Gusen, concluded. Only trusted capos had an ability to work here and to have access to the camp liberties, to avoid physical work and humiliations. One of the few conditions was to have an “Arian” blood. Most of these privilege inmates were former political prisoners and criminals from Germany and Austria. Such administrative position and camp status demanded cruelty, absence of pity and a very few amount of these clerks had assisted the other prisoners of the Mauthausen Concentration Camp and sub camps. In particular, under the direct supervision of the SS officer.
The middle part of the Barrack № 1 were used as a canteen for prisoners. A place, where privilege capos also had access to additional provision and even with the means of hygiene and other goods of the camp inner black market, ignored by the SS guards. The left part of the Block 1 used to include a brothel (till 1942) for capos and those prisoners, who had some goods to buy time with a woman. For some period of time women from Ravensbruck were promised freedom after the “service” in this camp brothel, which then turned out to be a lie.
REMAINED BARRACKS № 6 & 7
These two wooden barracks were the first in their particular rows of the blocks for prisoners on the left side next to Roll-call are and now a part of the Mauthausen Memorial. Each of them and of barracks destroyed were also divided into three parts. The middle part contained a premise with cloth, a toilet and common a washing room. The left and right parts of these wooden blocks were divided into two parts each – living room and bed room. These wooden barracks had to maintain about 300 prisoners, but in 1944-1945 some of them were accommodated with enormous 2000 people each. In total insanitary conditions two or more men used to share one wooden bed with a wool blanket as the most possible variant. In general, only capos had pillows of hay. The working day used to start at 4:45 am in summer and 5.45 in Winter. Inmates had to make the common bed, make up the blanket, take a quick bath, have a poor breakfast and to get to the Roll-call area as soon as possible. Barrack № 11 was for some period of time a place to accommodate children and yearlings, brought to Mauthausen most commonly from Poland and USSR. Also, it used to maintain Spanish fighters against the Franko’s regime, who had immigrated to the France, but then were captured by the Gestapo.
BARRACK № 5 – JEWISH BLOCK (Judenblock)
The percent of Jews in Mauthausen was quite low until the beginning of 1941. In that dramatic spring a first big group of Jews was brought to the Mauthausen. The SS administration decided to create a particular site for these inmates within the premise B in the Block № 5, next to the barbed wire fence. Soon after Barrack № 5 has obtained infamous «Jewish block» (JUDENBLOCK) title. The development of the Holocaust in Europe had its resemblance in the Mauthausen camp. The Jews within the camp were in the very bottom of the camp hierarchy. Inmates of the Block 5 had to sleep on the floor on their one cloth without blankets or pillows all seasons. Their ration was the poorest as well the absence of any medical treatment. The average lifespan here was of a few weeks and even days. In addition to starvation and insanitary, Jewish prisoners had more often become victims of the cruelty of capos and the SS guards. They were beaten to death, shot within fictional attempts of escape, forced to touch the barbed wire fence under electricity and to jump from the cliff within the Mauthausen Quarry (Parachute jump). A number of Jewish prisoners of the Barrack № 5 were killed in the gas chamber in the Hartheim euthanasia center. The “Jewish block” was additionally fenced with a barbed wire and inmates were forbidden to communicate with the other prisoners in the Mauthausen. The modern site of the former and now demolished Mauthausen “Jewish block” presented with a memorial sign. Remain of the stone foundation and a glass sign table with the history of the Barrack № 5.
BARBED WIRE FENCE AND THE ASH DUMP (Aschenhalde)
The barbed wire fence on the North side of the Mauthausen Concentration Camp, next after the former sites for barracks is the historical restoration, created in 1947 as a part of the Memorial complex. We can observe the barbed wire only on the top of the fence, as the authentic Mauthausen fence were of a few rows of barbed wire with 380 V electrical pressure. The SS guards and capos used to kill prisoners, forcing them to vault the electric fence to death. These poor inmates generally suffered more than a moment, be burned alive.
Small ravine next to the North fence was a camp dump site for years. For some period of time it was a killing site and starting from 1944 a place to accumulate ash of the corps, who had been burned within three furnaces of the Mauthausen. Tiny memorial now honors this place with no direct access for the tourists.
TENT CAMP (Zeltlager)
In summer 1944 the number of the prisoners in the Mauthausen camp went up dramatically and the wooden barracks of the main camp had no more space to accommodate newly arrivals. Camp administration decided to create a temporary open site with the tents next to the Ash dump to accumulate new amount of the residents. These canvas premises were tailored for maximum 800 inmates, but in fact some of the included 2000 prisoners within subhuman living conditions of extreme high mortality. In spring 1945 few thousands of the Hungarian Jews, forced to death march here from Hungary, were accommodated within the Tent camp. The site was in operation until the Mauthausen liberation in May, 1945.
BARRACKS 16-20 / QUARANTINE (Quarantänehof)
Five wooden barracks № 16-20 were initially separated with a stone wall, which now is a part of the Mauthausen Memorial Complex. The area was considered to maintain particular groups of prisoners and has obtained “Quarantine” (QUARANTANE) camp slang title. Most of the newly arrivals to the Mauthausen were accommodated here from two to four weeks to avoid a possible epidemic. These first weeks provided inmates with an indication of cruel camp attitude and humiliation. Quarantine also emphasized possible capos and, in the opposite, seek and week people for extermination. Along the years, the barracks of the Quarantine were generally overcrowded with prisoners up to 1000 in each one, designed to maintain 300. Close quarters guaranteed absence of hygiene, blankets and graduation of groups of possible workers.
With the start of the Eastern campaign and the “Barbarossa” war plan, German army (Wehrmacht) initiated transfer of a part of the soviet POWs to perform forced labor within the Third Reich. In October 1941 about 2000 of the Soviet prisoners of war were placed to the Barracks № 16-20 and the Quarantined side was at that time called a “Russian camp”. These POWs were appointed to the most difficult and exhaustible kinds of works in the Mauthausen. In spring 1942 this sort of “Russian camp” was eliminated (it was months before the constructions of the outer “Russian camp” near the SS sports ground).
In September 1944 the arrival of a huge group of women to the Mauthausen resulted the initiation of the so-called “Women camp” of the Mauthausen. Before that, the majority of the inmates had been male. Nevertheless, up to the beginning of the year 1943, most of these newly arrived women were forced to work within different sub camps. On March 1945 about 2000 women from the Ravansbruck were transferred to the Mauthausen and placed within the 16-20 Barracks to organize full-fledged Women camp. Even the last days of the War witnessed new groups of newly arrivals.
Block № 20 has become infamous because of the highest mortality level within the history of the Mauthausen and known as “Infirmary barrack” or “DEATH BLOCK”. Initially, it was a part of the Quarantine area and maintained seek and dying people. Despite the supposed purpose, Barrack № 20 had no medical treatment and appropriate nutrition. Starting from May 1944, a number of the soviet prisoners of war were placed here in unlivable conditions. No less than 4000 inmates had been accommodated within the “Death Block” until February 1945. Most of them have not survived or were intentionally killed. On February 2, 1945 a number of its prisoners attacked the capos and SS guards, attacked the guards on the towers with throwing stuff and the content of the fire extinguishers. Some were killed by the guards, but about 400 of the prisoners managed to leave the Mauthausen, using cloth to cover the electric barbed wire fence. The days after were a period of a man hunting, performed by the SS and locals. Only 11 people among the escapees survived the war.
A field next to the walls of the Quarantine camp was for sometimes a killing site until the end of 1942, before such actions were executed within the Camp prison and the gas chamber.
MAUTHAUSEN CAMP II (Lager II)
This part of the Mauthausen concentration camp was constructed in 1941 and the wooden barracks were generally used as the workshops. In particular, the Barrack № 25 was used as a premise for disinfection of the camp clothes, performed by 10-12 inmates. Starting from 1944, the barracks from 21 to 24 were used as a quarantine inner camp, as the Quarantine next to the wall now operated mostly with women and separated groups of prisoners. Now newly arrived inmates had to spend a few weeks within the Camp II before getting into the main camp. This part of the Mauthausen camp was a place of birth of the resistance movement. Its inhabitants used to help seek and starved prisoners by means of inner barter of the goods.
CEMETERY. The former Camp II of the Mauthausen camp is used as a war cemetery. Within the last months of the Second World War Mauthausen and its sub camps were totally overpopulated with the prisoners with the highest level of mortality in spring 1945. Camp furnaces next to the killing area were unable to manage increasing amount of dead bodies and guards initiated mass burials outside the camp. After the liberation of the Mauthausen, American soldiers have found these burials as well as hundreds of the unburied bodied. In additional, approximately 3000 exhausted inmates died soon after the liberation. In 1945 they were buried on the territory of the former SS sports ground. In 1961 the Mauthausen administration initiated creation of a new war cemetery within the territory of the former Camp II. It now contains more than 14 000 human remains.
MAUTHAUSEN CAMP III (Lager III)
Spring 1944, in order to operate the increasing amount of the newly arrived inmates, SS administrations decided to build another part of the main camp, called Camp III (Lager III) outside the eastern walls. The construction was finished in Autumn and new camp included five wooden barracks for the inmates, two workshops, walls and three additional watch towers. After suppressing the Warsaw uprising in summer 1944, Mauthausen accepted groups of Jews from the Warsaw and most of them were put into Camp III. In April 1945 apr 1400 inmates (mostly old, seek and weak) were stacked here, waiting for the gas chambers or another way of death. At the same time, some prisoners from the other part of the Mauthausen managed to steal the keys from the guards and save hundreds of the poor inmates in the Camp III. After the war, the territory of the former outer camp was not included in the Mauthausen Memorial Complex and was abandoned for some time. In 1970 walls, barracks, workshops and watching towers were completely demolished, revealing a green grass field.
While the majority of weak and seek inmates of the Mauthausen was destined to wait for their death within the Barrack № 20, Quarantine or by means of the SS medical experiments, gas chamber or beating, a privilege group of so-called capos had an access to some medical treatment. SS administration paid their interest to maintain the order chain, compiled with privilege prisoners. Skillful workers with appropriate technical experience also had this privilege to access the Infirmary. Initially, it was presented by a wooden barrack until the fall of 1944, when a new granite building was constructed (construction had started on September 1st, 1940). New infirmary (Germ “Krankenrevier”) used to occupy one half of the stone building and divided into wards with cots for 130 people and equipped with medical accessories. All these “good thing of life” were inaccessible for the majority of the prisoners in the Mauthausen camp.
Today the first floor of the former Infirmary holds the constant exhibition called “The History of the Mauthausen Concentration Camp 1938 – 1945”. This kind of museum shares personal belongings of the former prisoners and guards, scale maps and photos.
Basement of the Infirmary involves another historical exhibition named “The Crime Scenes of Mauthausen – Searching for Traces”. Underground site also gives access to the former killing area, gas chamber and crematoria. “HALL OF NAMES” impresses with installation of dozens of thousands of identities of the former prisoners and victims of the Mauthausen. Big books of record include this personal data with even day of death.
The process of transformation of the former Infirmary in a museum was initiated in the 1960s and included the replanning of the premises on both floors. Special markers on the floor still give a perspective of the wartime architecture. In 1970 the process was finished and Infirmary has become a museum with exhibitions as it is today.
GAS CHAMBER, EXECUTION ROOM AND CREMATORIA (Krematorien und Tötungseinrichtungen)
These infamous premises were located within the underground floor of the Infirmary and Camp prison. Three furnaces had been operated in crematoria until the last months of the war. The first one was put in use back in 1940 to operate bodied of the dead inmates. In a period before, that bodies had been sent to the crematories of Linz and Stair. The second one was taken into operation in 1942 and the last furnace only in 1945, shortly before the liberation of the Mauthausen. Three of the sub camps, including Gusen also were equipped with the crematoria. The furnaces of the Mauthausen did not just eliminate the bodies, but also succeeded in hiding the evidence of violence. All dirty work was performed by a small group of inmates called sonderkommando, who were forced to live here in the basement, separated from the other prisoners.
EXECUTION ROOM had been in operation starting from 1941 to perform individual murders. SS guards used to force a prisoner to come close to a particular part of the wall with a tiny hole and another guard shot the poor inmate in the head. The SS had also installed a sort of scaffold to execute prisoners of the Mauthausen.
The GAS CHAMBER of the Mauthausen concentration camp was put in operation in March 1942 and at least 3455 inmates were gassed to death by means of infamous Zyklon B. After the War, neither commandant Ziereis nor SS guards denied the existence of the gas chamber and its main purpose. One step before the entrance give a perspective of another premise where doomed prisoners had to take off their cloth before the execution. They were also inspected to find some jewels and in particular golden dental crowns.
The former CREMATORIA now show two of three furnaces of the Mauthausen memorial. Also a perspective of the gas chamber with memorable plates on its walls to honor the victims.
CAMP PRISON / BUNKER (Lagergefängnis)
The Camp prison of the Mauthausen, known in German as Lagergefangnis, was put in construction already in 1939 and in operation in 1940. The first floor of the building used to include 33 cells, which remained until today even with the bars. SS guards initiated a sort of punishment – a detention within poor lighted cells, without furniture and even the bed, using a bucket as a toilet, without food and water. Generally, inmates had to spend days in solitude, but sometimes they had been accommodated by pairs. Camp prison also was a place to detent those prisoners, who were commissioned to be killed within a gas chamber or be shot on the backyard. SS guards and Gestapo established a system of tortures to humiliate political prisoners or any other group. The walls still contain scrawled signatures of the former “inhabitants”.
As we proceed to the basement, we can observe a fridge cell, with walls covered with ceramic. The SS doctors and guards used to store bodied here before being burned within the crematoria. Another remained premise was used to maintain medical experiments. Stone table still here.
KITCHEN BARRACK (Küchenbaracke)
While the canteen for prisoners was located in the Barrack №1, the kitchen itself used to maintain in a wooden barrack next to Camp prison. Generally former cooks were selected to work here and to a poor ration for prisoners and square meals for the SS guards and administration. Regardless the fact that a usual working day lasted for eleven hours, prisoners of the Mauthausen camp used to receive a poor ration less than 1500 calories. Even this crucial nutrition was cut within the last months before the Mauthausen liberation. Common daily ration consisted of half a liter of dishwater or coffee as a breakfast, beet and potato pottage with a small piece of meat for dinner and 300-400 grams of bread, sometimes with a jam, for supper. Capos and other privilege inmates used to receive increased rations. Kitchen barrack was also a place to devastate food deliveries from the outside world.
LAUNDRY BARRACK (Wäschereibaracke)
The former Laundry wooden barrack located near the Wailing wall and the Main gate on the right hand. Laundry usually operated with a cloth of the SS and capos. The clothes of the Mauthausen prisoners were disinfected within the living barracks or sometimes here, in a separate premise. The barrack used to contain a shower room to allow prisoners have rare (every 4-6 weeks) hygiene procedures to avoid epidemics. The building now contains a chapel with national flags and memorial signs, made of stone.
SS GARAGE COURTYARD (SS-Garagenhof)
The former inner courtyard used to maintain transport of the Mauthausen guard and had a separate entrance. The site was generally used as a place to maintain roll-call among the SS guards, under the supervision of the commandant. In the 1939-1940 rarely permitted visitors, relatives of the now dead prisoners, had a chance to see the bodies within a poor lighted premise. They had no access to the main camp of the Mauthausen. In 1941 the administration had maintained the mass disinfection roll-calls to eliminate a risk of typhus.
J. Holland — The War in the West
Profound and modern study on the War in the West by James Holland is considered to be on the most authoritative studies within the years.
The Destruction of the European Jews Raul Hilberg
Prominent Holocasut book «The Destruction of the European Jews» by professor Raul Hilberg, stiil well-known since first publication in 1961